Thursday 25 March 2010

Day of Surgery

I was due to arrive at the hospital at 7.30am - despite it being planned as being done under a local anaesthetic I was not allowed to eat after 12 midnight the night before and nothing to drink after 7am.

On arrival to the hospital I had to change into a gown and dressing gown and walked down to the anaesthetic room and waited till the surgeon was ready.

In Theatre I lay down with my arm out and the surgeon injected the local anaesthetic into the centre of my hand, which I stung quite a bit. I think I received 2 injections and didn't feel much after the 2nd except for some pulling and tugging of my hand and wrist.

I opted not to look, and asked that the surgeon didn't describe what she was doing - I'm squeamish!!!

At one point it felt like a guitar string was being twanged in my wrist!

The operation took less than 30 minutes and my hand was stitched and bandaged up - I looked like I was wearing a boxing glove!

A nurse and porter took me up to the surgical ward where I had a cup of tea and light breakfast and was allowed home within an hour with my arm in a sling.

I was told not to drive for 10 days, no heavy lifting for 2 to 3 months. It's surprising how much you take for granted... like doing up your bra, undoing jars and bottles, shoelaces, pulling up trousers, doing up a belt, cutting up food, washing your hair - luckily I had hubby to be a nursemaid, though it was frustrating at times - I truly appreciate what amputees go through and am grateful that this is only temporary.

My fingers were bright pink from the surgical scrub type stuff - this seems impossible to get off, especially as I have to keep my operation site dry till the stitches come out!

My fingers stayed numb till around 9pm that evening - I was worried that the op had gone wrong and they'd be numb forever but after phoning the hospital was reassured that the feeling would return.

No comments:

Post a Comment